Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Vegan Challenge....

I've been going through a bit of a dry spell on the ol' blogging front, mostly because I haven't been able to think of anything very interesting to write about.
So, I'm thinking I'm going to try something a little different for the next week, and maybe that will break me out of my rut.

Basically, I'm going to go vegan for a week, starting tomorrow and going through to Saturday. (I'd say through to Sunday, but that's Easter, and I'm planning on eating lamb that day, and well, nothing gets between me and lamb).

My motivation is that I have several friends who are vegetarian or vegan, and I've always wavered between "gee, that must be hard to stick to" and "how hard could it possibly be?". I don't think it'll be easy, but it should be interesting.

The ground rules (such as they are) are pretty simple. Every meal/snack/etc has to be vegan, and no meat substitutes (ie, tofurkey, fake bacon, veggie burgers, etc). The only exception for that is tofu, since I figure it's been around for hundreds (thousands?) of years, and it's established enough as a food that it's not "just" a meat substitute. I think the "no fake meat" rule will force me to be creative (plus, I have been known, on occasion, to render some strong opinions on the subject, and this will make me see how hard (or not) it is to do this without falling back on them).

So, for the next week, it's "no meat" in the house.

No comments: