Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday dinner

I had plans last night to go out to dinner with my friend Anne at Remedy Diner in Raleigh, but when I hadn't heard back from her by around 5, I started thinking "hmm, I think I need a backup plan".

So, I headed to the store, picked up some salad greens, some organic chicken thighs, etc. and then before I got started cooking, I heard back from her, and we ended up going to Remedy after all (which was pretty good, I must say. It reminded me a lot of a place I used to go to a lot in the 'burg, in that it was very vegan/crunchy. I ate "vegan buffalo wings" for the first time, which were actually pretty good, or at least the sauce was. My reuben was pretty good, and pretty messy, and I ended up eating way too much, including dessert, which for me is pretty rare). I'd go there again, and I was surprised at the size of their vegan menu. I've been trying to think of things to write about on this poor neglected blog, so maybe I'll try to work more "meat-lite"/vegetarian/vegan things in...

But, going to Remedy last night left me with this dinner tonight. I figured I'd make a simple salad (lettuce, cilantro, tomatoes, and some quickly pickled onions), and put some grilled chicken over top, which was exactly what I did. After I grilled the thighs, I brushed them with a little honey/soy/hot pepper mix right at the end, just to give them a little more flavor. I then whipped up a quick dressing with some kewpie mayonnaise(sp?), some miso sitting in the back of my fridge, some rice vinegar, and some wasabi. It turned out ok, but I think I could've done better by leaving out the wasabi.

The only real "recipe" out of this is the pickled onions, which were inspired by looking at the Momofuku cookbook's section on pickles (where, oddly, there are no recipes for pickled onions):
Quick pickled onions:
2 small onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
1 tsp coarse kosher salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp (or more, to taste) rice vinegar

Toss onions with salt, sugar, and vinegar in a container, and allow to sit for a while (15-30 minutes). Taste, season, and serve.

Anyway, it was a nice light meal, and I'm now left with enough energy to take a stab at making the Banana Brown Sugar ice cream recipe (which is vegan, actually) off of David Lebovitz's excellent blog.

1 comment:

TheClassic said...

Thanks for blogging. No thanks on the vag. (sp?) recipes; I'll let you know if my canine teeth fall out though. ;)