Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Hey, edamame!

A gardening friend of mine gave me a boatload of fresh veggies last week, and in the flood of tomatoes, corn, and zucchini, I was given a big bag of edamame.
Rather than eat them the sushi bar way (where you boil the pods in salted water, and then shell them at the table/bar like peanuts), I decided to make a salad out of them:


Edamame salad:
2 cups edamame
zest from one lemon
1/2 med onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1/2 - 1 cup corn
1/2 c fresh chopped dill
seasoned rice vinegar
grated parmesan
salt
pepper

This started as my rendition of a salad that Mark Bittman ("The Minimalist") had in the NY Times last week, which was just beans, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, parmesan and mint. Well, I couldn't find any mint, so I went with dill, and then when I tasted it, I thought it needed something more, and I realized I had 2 ears of corn leftover from the night before, so I added that for kind of a "succotash" thing, and then I added a little vinegar to make it less lemony and more pure acidic.

But anyway, it was pretty good, and I finished it off today with my lunch, but I had a tomato that needed to be used, so I chopped that up, and dumped that in too. I think the tomato made the difference. (I wish I had a pic of that, but oh well.)

No comments: